Find more dog breeds here!

Translate

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Pyelonephritis: kidney infection

I saw a cat that came in with a fever and a painful abdomen. While collecting her urine and blood for some lab tests, I noted her urine was quite opaque. It's not rocket science: I thought she'd have pus in her urine. Her labwork came back with classic abnormalities for pyelonephritis: elevated white blood cell count (with the type of cell typically indicative of bacterial infection), mildly elevated urea, with pus and bacteria in the urine. In an earlier post, I discuss a case of pyelonephritis and prosatitis in a dog.
Where does the infection come from? The infection can start off in the bladder and ascend up to the kidneys, or it can arrive at the kidneys via the bloodstream from various sources: a bite, severe periodontal disease, etc, etc.
Treatment involves up to 6-8 weeks of antibiotics and in this case, hospitalization and iv fluids for at least a few days.
This kitty is responding well.

Gross.

3 comments:

AC ROB said...

Hello TorontoVet,

I would like to ask you a question which is not at all related to your post, I really hope that you could still give me your comments.
I know you are originally from Montreal, starting a new life in Toronto, how did you make the transition to make yourself assimilate into the toronto way of living? I've been in Toronto for almost 6 years, it's still hard for me to run into the kind of person that I can be friend with, how do you meet people and make friends with the people you like? Have you ever experienced self image issue?I'm Asian, I'm having a hard time knowing and accepting the fact that I'm a good looking individual, despite all those compliments given by people around me. Cuz I don't fit into the stereotype of good looking dude. Anyway, I watched you on animal housecall, i felt you were very approachable and easy going. Not sure if this is a proper environment for me to be asking all these questions, I just feel i should do it.

TORONTOVET said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

AC,

I appreciate your openness and honesty. I suspect that the best advice I can give you, you've likely heard before. But that shouldn't diminish its value or importance.

The best way to achieve peace and happiness in your life is to believe in yourself, be yourself, and appreciate and celebrate your uniqueness. All the rest will follow. If you walk with your head held high others will treat you accordingly.

Toronto has its challenges but the same rules apply. Love yourself ad others will love you. Like yourself and others will like you. Good luck and take care.

- Doug