Find more dog breeds here!

Translate

Total Pageviews

Monday, July 2, 2007

Don't litter

Upon witnessing a man throwing his half-eaten, wrapper-clad, chocolate bar into the street today I turned to him and foolishly asked, "Is the street a garbage can?" He gave me a dirty look after which I turned around and entered a furniture store. At the cash, I noticed that he followed me into the store and asked, "Were you talkin' to me?" To which I bravely replied, "Yes, I was." He asked me who I was to which I replied, "I live in the city." He then turned around, sat at a table on display in the store, rolled a joint or cigarette, and walked out. How ironic: a piece of trash littering the street...
I was both upset for having put myself in physical danger (the guy was nuttier than the chocolate bar he lobbed into the street), yet proud to have defended the city's streets.
And just this morning I took particular note of the state of Queen street while on the streetcar: the amount of litter on the sidewalks was astronomical. It was so deeply offensive and upsetting. How can Toronto evolve into a beautiful city if its inhabitants are so willing to keep it despicably filthy?
Here's the solution: "Litter Marshals." These city workers would roam Toronto streets, parks, the streetcars and subways and fine those that are caught littering. Their salaries would be paid from funds collected from the tickets/fines handed out by these marshals. Hefty fines should deter the trash not to litter. A good city-wide ad campaign may also help.



The only problem that this poses is that the trash who litter probably cannot read the sign.

8 comments:

Andrew said...

I see the clean reputation of your city is now forsaken.

TORONTOVET said...

I've never once heard that Toronto has that reputation.

Naruto Fan said...

wow u must not like people who litter, althogh I am not one to litter It seams that people don't just get that littering is wrong

TORONTOVET said...

Naruto,

If you care about where you live, about your city, and even about yourself, you should not litter.

Justin Marshall said...

"How ironic: a piece of trash littering the street..."

That was great.

It's true though how dirty Toronto is getting. But if my memory serves me correctly there aren't very many of the garbage/recycle things downtown. I may be wrong and probably am, but it seems like there are way more in where I live in North York. Maybe if they increased the number of places to put garbage there would be less. When I was in Montreal last year I seem to remember there being a trash can on every street corner, I dont think Toronto has anything similar. But of course we would still have the nutters who do what they want, when they want, and yell a lot.

TORONTOVET said...

Exactly, Justin. However, even if there were a single trashcan in all of downtown Toronto, one should still have the common sense not to litter. It's incompre-hensible to me, unless of course you don't give a s--t about your city...

Anonymous said...

That's what I say the city should do with all those smokers who smoke on TTC property - hand them tickets and you'd reduce the enormous debt that they're in.

Miller the 'green' mayor? Come on.

TORONTOVET said...

Anon,

Superb idea. Along with the litterers, the TTC will at least bring in some desperately-needed money.