Find more dog breeds here!

Translate

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 1, 2009

Voracious cat

As you now know, my cat is acromegalic and diabetic. This means his diabetes is difficult to control and his high levels of circulating growth hormone (and uncontrolled diabetes) means he's constantly hungry. As I blog, he is bothering me for crackers and peanut butter, and is slowly making his way towards the New York style banana pudding (courtesy of Red Rocket Coffee).
Aside from a lick, which he now and then steals, I do not let him eat these things.
While slightly humorous, I must remember that not long ago, he would never have wanted to eat these things. Isaac, I must remember, is sick. This fact I have accepted.

Not Isaac, but I haven't ruled this scenario out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you need those mesh picnic table type things to keep food covered! lol

xandre said...

Haha! Perfect title for a perfect shot. By the way, did you by chance see this article about Zootoo’s shelter makeover? http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-04-12-zootoo-shelter-clash_N.htm

Anonymous said...

My cat is also diabetic. I used the information at the website below to get him OFF insulin and diet-controlled. It's harder with acromegaly cats but there is lots of info there.

The most important thing we can do for our diabetic kitties is to get them off all dry food and onto wet, low-carb food. Cats are obligate carnivores and do not need grains or vegetables.

We also need to home-test blood glucose.

Good luck with your cat!

http://www.felinediabetes.com/

Phoebe said...

Hi, I had an acromegaly cat too. Have you discovered www.catacromegaly.com? Also, we are gathering information to aid others with Acro-cats in a spreadsheet here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pkwEJXZdhGd9IdRWWTPIpRQ
We also have a forum devoted to "High Dose" diabetic cats at www.felinediabetes.com (an ISG - insulin support group)
Best of luck with your extra sweet kitty.